Exchange Server and Ximian Evolution

Jonathan Hutchins hutchins at opus1.com
Fri Oct 18 08:08:40 CDT 2002

I've never heard of not being able to use Exchange as an SMTP relay for
Outlook or any other client.  It responds correctly to all standard SMTP
commands, or at least close enough that it doesn't actually break anything.
It does have to be set to either allow relaying for that particular IP or to
allow relaying for an authenticated client.  I use an Exchange server to
relay my outbound mail, and I've used most of the Windows, Mac, and Linux
mail programs available at one time or another.  (This includes versions of
Outlook and Outlook Express since '97.)  I have not tried Ximian's Exchange
connector.