Sound Problems

Jonathan Hutchins hutchins at opus1.com
Thu Oct 17 08:56:50 CDT 2002

So you know it's not really the sound system, it's the bloated,
multilayered, inefficient XWindows system that's killing your CPU cycles.

If you run a performance monitor on a Windows machine, you'll see that
moving the mouse runs the CPU up to 100%.  Windows is pretty well optimized,
and it's GUI is pretty efficient.

One of the things you can do is to switch your graphics card.  An AGP card
takes more CPU power than a PCI video card, and the more processing power on
the card, the more it can potentially offload from the CPU - provided an
XWindows driver exists that will allow it.

Other things are to simplify your GUI.  If you're running KDE, try turning
off some of the effects.  Try running under a lighter window manager without
the desktop enhancements, and see if that helps.