Sound Problems

Adam Davis ald at dovienya.net
Wed Oct 16 23:23:46 CDT 2002

Okay, an update on this after some testing/playing:

I experimented with various drivers, but to no avail.  I then tried a
different sound card, but the problem did not change any, so I've decided
the problem is not with the card.

Sound quality is fine (good, even) so long as I don't attempt anything
that causes large parts of the screen to change repeatedly/rapidly under
X, ie; scrolling, switching between virtual desktops, moving a window.

I tried using various MP3 players, but they all experienced the same
problem.

No matter what I do in the console, I can't get the problem to re-occur
there.  Maybe I just don't have things that take enough of the memory/cpu,
though.

So, my only conclusion is that somewhere, X is causing problems.  I'll
keep looking, but any advice/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.  My
next step might be to steal down the latest version of XFree86-4 that the
FreeBSD people have to offer.

~Adam Davis