KCLUG Education Extension

Jim Herrmann kclug at ItDepends.com
Mon Oct 14 22:44:47 CDT 2002

Sorry in advance about the lengthy post.

I've commented on this topic of more structure, more whatever, before and I
was at first advocating structure within the meeting.  I have read all the
comments and input, and I am now coming down on the side of Jared to leave
the meetings alone, more or less.  If you want to talk about a particular
subject, get everyone's attention, throw out a topic, and away we go.  I
experimented with this last month.  It worked pretty well.  I did it with
recent Linux news events.  It took a little effort to keep the conversation
on track, but with a little practice, I believe it can be done.

Let me qualify my comments here.  I am the president of a very structured
group, the Heart of America DB2 Users Group, http://www.hoadb2ug.org/  We
meet once a quarter, the first Monday of the third month of the quarter.  We
rent a hall at the BTA, and serve lunch.  This costs each member $40 a
meeting, with discounts for a full year membership.  Usually this cost is
paid by an attendee's company.  We bring in speakers from all over the
country.  Usually one for either IBM's Silicon Valley Labs or the Toronto
Labs, then another speaker who is usually a trainer, and we have them give
training on the days following the meeting.  As you can imagine, the
coordination and work that goes into putting on this show four times a year
is enormous.  This structure works for a group of people, data base people,
who work with structure every day in their jobs, and the product they work
with.  I've been trying to loosen them up, but it's a long row to hoe.  :-)

The KCLUG, for me, has been just the opposite activity for me.  It embodies
the free wheeling nature of Linux.  As we often joked about our meetings, you
make of it what you want,  it's free, there's no one leading the show, but it
just works.  It requires your participation to make it work for you, however.
I don't really want to change this.  Like Jared pointed out, I have enough
structure in my life.  I'm trying to get away from structure.  That's what
appeals to me about Linux.

Be that as it may, I also feel that part of the cost of me downloading and
using all this wonderful free software, is that I advocate, at the grass
roots level, the use of Linux.  A very effective way to advocate is through
training.  I proposed some time back putting together presentations about
introductions to linux and taking the presentations to libraries around the
city.  Advertising at and through the library system.  Getting more new
people to find out about linux, and introduce them to software freedom.  Now,
we could take that idea one step further and cooperatively put together
various classes on various topics.  I would see this not as a "fork", but as
an "extension" of what the group is, and has become.

Is there any interest in pursuing this idea as a compromise between those who
wish to keep the meeting unstructured, and those who seek a more formal
learning environment?

Discuss.

Peace in the world,
Jim Herrmann
President, Heart of America DB2 Users Group