Meetings' Structure was: How is ITEC going?

JD Runyan jrunyan.lists at dms.nwcg.gov
Mon Oct 14 21:27:58 CDT 2002

I hope you don't consider yourself an evangelist, because when someone
can install windows, and often have all these things just work within
the first night, then why would it be worth the effort for them to spend
more than a month to just meet someone who can help them.  I'm sorry,
but that is just stupid.  That is why people outside the Linux community
view Linux as an OS for geeks only.  I participate in the mail list of a
group in San Diego, and they spend a lot of time making an environment
that newbies can come to, and leave with a fully working Linux PC.
Maybe if KCLIG wants to evangelize, then they need to rethink having an
unbending atitude like yours.  It is completely possible to have
meetings(regular social events centered around a common interest in
Linux) and having strictly instructional, structured meetings.  Yes,
this would take a number of the group members efforts to pull off.

On Mon, 2002-10-14 at 12:51, Jared Smith wrote:
> Linux is composed of people who scratch itches.
> You are describing an itch. Scratch it.

<snip>
> Then come to a meeting and do it. Start with what you know.

<snip>
> Great. Learn how to do it, and do it. Partner with someone who knows more.
> It might mean you have to show up at meetings five times before you
> know someone well enough, but surely it's worth the effort.
<snip>

--
Jason D. Runyan
USDA NITC KC