How is ITEC going?

Jim Herrmann JimH at ItDepends.com
Sat Oct 12 11:23:20 CDT 2002

Steve makes a good point.  Perhaps our group is growing enough that more
structure is warranted.  I think the "Installfest" and "Demoday" concepts are
out dated.  Linux is moving on, and so should our group.  I think having
someone show off some piece of software each meeting would be a great idea.
It wouldn't have to be the whole meting, just 20-30 minutes of it.  If we
have multiple people, we have plenty of time for multiple presentations.  I
think the biggest problem we have to overcome is projection.  Does anyone
have access to a portable projector for a laptop?  That would be all we need
to facitlitate demos.

The software being demonstrated would not have to be the latest, coolest,
greatest, most obscure piece of software.  We're going to have a more and
more newbies showing up to the meetings, and it would probably be good to
have someone extolling the virtues of Kmail, Mozilla, Konqueror, Galeon,
Evolution, Xine, XMMS, Gphoto, KDE desktop, Gnome desktop, IceWM,
OpenOffice.org, GNUcash, Koffice, Eroaster, X-CD-Roast, Kate, KDevelop, Gcc,
Desktop Themes, User Administration, Package installation, compiling kernals,
compiling applications, PDA use, video editing, chat clients, Ghost
Script/Ghost View, VNC, remote shells, remote X windows, FTP clients, etc.
etc.

My point is, there is plenty of opportunities for people to show off stuff
they use all the time.  We don't need to prepare handouts and write up a big
presentation, we just need to show people how to use the tools that people
use everyday.

So, who has that projector?

Thanks for your time,
Jim Herrmann  (first names aren't enough anymore)