New member, and a little quick question..

Minos xmin0s at hotmail.com
Tue Oct 8 01:41:30 CDT 2002

Hola all!
I just found this in a quick search through the net trying to find a good place to ask this
question, but looks like i found much more. Great indeed!
well..now for the question...
I recently did a clean install of redhat 8.0. I gave up on redhat since 6.0, but i figured ill give
this a one a try. Its being a huge pain in my ass. After a few problems here and there, i came
across the fact I cant get Up2date or mozilla, (or any other internet program to run basicly) At
1st I started trouble shooting my connection, set up, ect..
I can ping myself, my router, other box's on my network. Hell, i can ping Yahoo's IP, google's ip,
ect..buuuut..
I get a error when trying to goto Google.com, something about host name.
And up2date, redhats little network, tells me this..
"Network error -3 "Temporary falure in name resolution"
Fun eh?
So i assume its a problem with host name, or host name resolution, I have yet to understand after
searching for hours through text, what on earth it could be. Anyone know off hand? its driving me
batty..
By the way, if i type in Googles IP address, into mozilla with a http:// tossed onto it, it will
work. It goes to google.com.
what the hell did i do while hardening the box? i shut down some much needed service? ;)
Thanx for your input all. I hope to talk to you all more.
Tim Cohen