FAX - What's the best solution

Jonathan Hutchins hutchins at opus1.com
Sun Oct 6 19:48:55 CDT 2002

> From: Jeremy Fowler [mailto:jfowler at westrope.com]

> Hylafax receives the faxes and emails them to our
> receptionist to be sorted and forwarded. Recently
> there was a mix-up and someone received a fax they
> shouldn't have. This upset some VIPs, so now we are
> looking for a solution so it "never happens again".

Right.  Some system where nothing can go worng.

The only system with the ability to scan all possible types of received
faxes, things ranging from digital mail that's meant for fax printing to
hand scrawled notes shoved through a 1934 Minolta, and correctly route every
one is:  A human.  Mark 01 eyeball, wetware, training, and an environment
that engenders a caring attitude.

You can weight things a bit.  Have a "general" number and a number for
confidential stuff that gets special handling.

Nothing you do, however, will fool proof it.  So you have 100% individual,
your-eyes-only routing or fax numbers for everybody.  The client's teen-age
niece who's working as an intern transposes the last two digits, and your
confidential fax goes to the local Reuters bureau.

FAX is not secure.

Encrypted email might be.