Gateway?

Seth Dimbert s.dimbert at fhmr.com
Wed Nov 27 16:42:50 CST 2002

I'd also point out that there are a number of router/switches available on
the market for less than $80. Now, I know that it's sacrilegious to suggest
that a Linux solution might not be the best one, but if you're talking about
only 4 PC's and your time and effort is worth more than $80 then the
solution is a no-brainer.

Head to MicroCenter/CompUSA and buy a 4-port Router/Switch. You plug the
modem into its WAN port and each PC into the 4 ports. You administer it via
a web browser on any machine on the network, it can handle PPoE and DHCP out
of the box and the firewall is reliable.

Or, if you want to get fancy, you can get a unit that supports 802.11b
wireless networking also (a solution that is tougher and much more
complicated in Linux) for a bit more cash.

What the decision boils down to is this. you can choose between:

 - Using a free solution on an old PC with 3 NICs that you administer, or
 - buying a cheap, reliable, specialized piece of hardware designed to do
just this one task. Set it and forget it.

Up to you.

-SD