Apache Benchmarking

Tony Hammitt tony at speedscript.com
Mon Nov 25 22:49:15 CST 2002

It does this if the page comes back with any other length of html file, like when you have a random
ad link or some generated content that might change the length of the html file.  To avoid this
when testing, I just take out the randomness, either by removing all but one ad link from the pool
or putting in some static string that's the average length.

ab doesn't load any referred-to links, just the basic html that you see with 'show source' in a
browser, so it's not really useful for actually gauging how long it takes to load a page.
Fortunately, Mozilla displays the page load time, so you can get estimates from that instead.