Lean & Mean FTP server

Charles Steinkuehler charles at steinkuehler.net
Fri Nov 22 16:38:29 CST 2002

I'm running into problems with a corperate FTP server handling heavy
loads.  The box it's running on is a fairly dated Cobalt Raq4 (20 Gig
HDD, 64 Meg RAM).

The problem is obviously due to lack of memory, but I cannot add RAM to
the box (it's a Time-Warner dedicated server system, and requires more
$$$ to upgrade, which is out of the question given this companies
current situation).

Anyway, what I'm wondering is are there any FTP servers that are
particularly "nice" in regards to system memory usage per-connection?
Something like thttpd for web serving, except an FTP server.

BTW:  The Cobalt is running ProFTPd, and I'm also familiar with wuftpd,
but that's about the extent of my knowledge of FTP servers.  When
running in "degraded" mode, there are typically 50 to 100+ connections,
with all users typically trying to download the same large (30-200 Meg)
file.  The problems normally occur when a new tutorial or product
upgrade is released, so I need something that can efficently serve up a
small set of large files to lots of users.

Thanks for any help or suggestions,

--
Charles Steinkuehler
charles at steinkuehler.net