hard drive woes

Scott Long link at kansastubacrew.com
Fri Nov 22 03:11:02 CST 2002

On Thursday 21 November 2002 08:07 pm, Dale wrote:
> And the world said.. let there be SCSI..
> and the drive failures reduced dramatically...
> Personally work with IBM scsi drives and rarely have
> had one crap out.  Their IDE drives seem to be pretty
> solid to.. but haven't used one in a very long time.

Well, if you don't count the DeathStar line.  :-)  Both of mine died on me,
and a friend of mine lost his too.  (At least IBM's great about their
warranty.)  And now recently there's the whole Fujitsu IDE failing story
that's been going around.  I've given up on finding one manufacturer that
doesn't have more problems than others...you'll find every manufacturer has
people that would never use their drives and other people that will only use
them.

It does seem like most current IDE drives tend to be more fragile than in the
past...guess it's just more incentive to make sure you've got all of your
important data backed up somewhere.  Hmmm...maybe this will be the final
straw to get me to use SCSI in my next computer.

--
Crazy?  I'll tell you what crazy is.  Crazy is running around with half
a melon on my head screaming "I'M A HAMSTER, I'M A HAMSTER,