hard drive woes

Patrick Thurmond p_thurmond at yahoo.com
Fri Nov 22 01:03:44 CST 2002

I know what you mean and I can tell you from
experience that if its a Quantum drive then you might
as well buy 3 or 4 replacement drives ahead of time.
I do tech support for a living and I replace 10 to 20
Quantums a week. I wouldn't give them to anyone. Hell
I think we should gather all the Quantums of the world
together and force all the little Middle Eastern
countries to use those for now on. Then we will see
how well those terrorists keep things running. ;-)

-Patrick

"Marvin [GodfatherofSoul] Bellamy"  wrote:Kinda
related to my previous thread about drives crapping
out. My firewall is an ancient 486 with a 500Mb or so
drive and its been churning for over 2 years now, no
problems. Who knows what punishment it took before I
got a hold of it. Yet, three modern Quantum/Maxtor
drives have failed in the same period of time :(Kurt
Kessler wrote:>Thanks everyone for all the good
info.>>I really wonder if the quality HAS gone
downhill. I>Still have several drives that are
WAAAAYYY beyond>their usable lifetime. These are
smaller drives>540mb-3.5gb, Fujitsu, Samsung, Western
Digital,>Seagate, Maxtor. All are running just fine.
The only>horror stories I seem to hear about are newer
(less>than 2 year old) drives that just went belly up.
What>gives??? Its just crazy if you ask me.>>Kurt>>---
admin at kclinux.net wrote:>>>>When I worked in a
hardware shop, it seems like>>>>>drives
became>>>>>more and more unrecoverable as
technology>>>>>advanced. I took that to>>>>>mean that
they were reliable enough that they only>>>>>failed if
they were>>>>>really, really dead.>>>>>I couldnt agree
with this any more. I no longer>>"depend" on IDE
drives for>>important data any more. Seems when drives
got>>larger than 10 gig, they>>seem to fail alot more
often. I have four Maxtor 6>>gig IDE drives in
one>>system, and I've never had a problem with them.
But>>for at least the past>>2 years, I've had 10 to 80
gig drives go out from>>Maxtor, Western Digital,>>and
Seagate. I havent tried IBM's desktop hard>>drives
yet, but if they're>>as reliable as their laptop
drives in Toshiba>>Tecras, no thanks.>>>>I have yet to
see one of my SCSI drives go out for>>the last 4
years.>>>>>>>>>>KC Linux Users Group -- to unsubscribe
send mail to>>majordomo at kclug.org>>Enter without the
quotes in body of message>>"unsubscribe
kclug">>>>>=====>32 bit extensions and a
graphical>shell for a 16 bit patch to an 8 bit
operating system>originally coded for a 4 bit
microprocessor, written>by a 2 bit company that can't
stand 1 bit of
you Yahoo!?>Yahoo! Mail Plus - Powerful. Affordable.
Sign up now.>http://mailplus.yahoo.com>>>KC Linux
majordomo at kclug.org>Enter without the quotes in body