Anyone know the address of a public DNS server

Duane Attaway dattaway at attaway.net
Thu Nov 21 22:57:15 CST 2002

On Thu, 21 Nov 2002 KRFinch at dstsystems.com wrote:

> Just wondering if anyone out there in TV land had the addresses of a
> couple of public DNS servers in KC.  Sometimes my connection gets a
> little flaky because of name resolution, and having links to extra DNS
> servers in the list smooths things out sometimes.

The most popular public servers are the root servers.  My default install
of bind allowed only localhost access.  Latency for a lookup may be around
a few hundred milliseconds.  Repeated lookups are nanoseconds as they are
cached.

      Homepage:    http://www.isc.org/products/BIND/bind9-beta.html

two commands to install and run this from gentoo:

emerge bind
/etc/init.d/named start