Subnetting

Lucas Peet sirsky at lucastek.com
Wed Nov 20 03:21:42 CST 2002

Guys, I could use some help here.I'm pretty new to routing.

I have a Class C IP address block that I want to subnet.

In reading through some documentation, If I want to split it into 2
subnets, the netmask would be 255.255.255.128, and each subnet will have
126 usable addresses:

#1:
10.0.0.0 - Network
10.0.0.1-126 - Useable IP's
10.0.0.127 - Broadcast

#2:
10.0.0.128 - Network
10.0.0.129-254 - Useable IP's
10.0.0.255 - Broadcast

I only have a need for 2 addresses on one subnet, which I can accomplish
with netmask 255.255.255.252 - this would give me 2 usable IP addresses:

10.0.0.0 - Network
10.0.0.1-2 - Useable IP's
10.0.0.3 - Broadcast

However, this would split the Class C block into 64 subnets, with only
128 usable IP addresses.  (2 per subnet, the rest would be reserved for
broadcast and network IP's).

My question is:  How can I split a Class C block of IP addresses like so
-

Network #1:
NetIP:		10.0.0.0
Usable IP's:	10.0.0.1-2
Broadcast:		10.0.0.3

Network #2:
NetIP:		10.0.0.4
Useable IP's:	10.0.0.5-254
Broadcast:		10.0.0.255

Is this even possible?  What other alternatives would I have besides
subnetting, if I want both the above networks separately routable on
different interface cards?

Note:  (Assume the 10.0.0.x numbers are 'real' routable IP's)

Thanks for any input!!

-Lucas