ITEC (fwd)

zscoundrel zscoundrel at kc.rr.com
Mon Nov 18 18:06:04 CST 2002

Actually, ours takes place in the fall, and we usually just do a booth.
    I have been pretty happy with the local show and they don't seem to
lean on us too heavily.  (The show is a bit too windoze oriented for me,
but it is getting better every year.)

What you are experiencing is power negotiating tactics.  Since you are
one of the larger contributors they are coming to you first to help
defray their increased costs.  I will be willing to bet that the cost of
the venue, the labor for set up and tear down, the shipping, advertising
and security have ALL gone up in the last couple of years.  (I
occasionally work in this field so I have current knowledge.)

You are actually in a BETTER position to bargain this year because you
have knowledge of this, AND you know that they are counting on you to
draw a market niche in the door, since they are already advertising that
you are going to attend.  (They are hoping to squeeze you into paying
more to help offset their expenses.)

It is a gamble, but it might pay off for them so they will try it.  All
you have to do is respond that because of the economy, you and your
members are not able to pay any more this year, but would be happy to
continue your support at last years level, or perhaps you would be
willing to SHARE the theater in a joint venture for half of last years fee.

This makes it a win-win for both you and the promoter IF they have
another pretty that wants to sponsor the theater.  It also calls their
bluff it they are just trying to jack you up for more bucks!  Remember,
they have a lot invested in adds and stuffs, that they don't want to
have to change.

Take the high road in the negotiation.  Always look for a way to make it
  a positive out come for both parties and you will stand a better
chance of getting a better deal.  Remember, at some point you will have
to give up something, either premium booth or theater space because they
do have to meet rising costs against reduced income because of lower
attendance from both vendors and patrons.