Problems with Flash based sites

Tony Hammitt tony at speedscript.com
Mon Nov 18 16:10:37 CST 2002

The only problem I have with the "official" flash player is that it has no configuration file and
generally wants to own your sound card, even if the file is not using sound.  This will cause
Mozilla to freeze up completely until the sound card becomes available.  More ads are using flash
now since GIF animation is normally disabled by the user...

One inelegant way around this is to use a binary file editor to change /dev/dsp to something else
in the flash_whatever.so file.  I changed it to /dev/fff and created it as a symlink to /dev/null.
Now sound doesn't work in flash (I very rarely want it to) but Mozilla doesn't lock up when Xmms is
running.

If flash was even slightly configurable, there'd be better a way to disable sound.  Or if it was
designed better, there'd be a check to see if it could write to the sound device and then stop
trying if it couldn't.  Or it could share the sound device like other programs...