Be afraid, be very afraid...

Jeremy Fowler jfowler at westrope.com
Thu Nov 14 23:16:32 CST 2002

> In the unlikely event that someone somehow _DOES_ manage to kill someone
> with a computer, I don't see any reason life in prison shouldn't be on the
> table.  This whole thing is going to be another media spin going nowhere.
> It's not like hacking into your own systems to verify that they are secure
> will get you thrown in jail or anything....  THINK!

Well, isn't that considered murder and/or manslaughter? We already have laws to
prosecute murderers. This is just a dope-a-rope to distract us from the real
threat. The two big things I'm worried about is:

- Permit limited surveillance without a court order
- Makes ISPs more closely aligned with law enforcement interests than customer
confidentiality interests

...and that's just the CSEA. You have to remember that it's being added to the
Homeland Security Bill. A bill that tramples civil liberties and privacy rights.
Not to mention the exemption from the Whistleblower Protection Act, which pretty
much bars any employee of the Homeland Security Dept. from exposing any wrong
doings.  http://www.washtimes.com/national/20020622-42082444.htm