Samba

Jonathan Hutchins hutchins at opus1.com
Thu Nov 14 17:02:02 CST 2002

---- Original Message -----
From: "Seth Dimbert" <s.dimbert at fhmr.com>

> If Samba runs on a Linux box which sits on a network full of MS boxes,
does
> it:

>  - Let the Windows users see Linux Directories in Windows? Or
>  - Let Linux users see Windows Directories in Linux?

To be a little more helpful:  About 90% of Samba's development has been
concentrated on using it to replace an NT server on an MS network, so
primarily it allows Windows users to see shared resources on a *NIX box.
However, there are also included utilities to allow a *NIX box to access
NetBIOS shares on MS machines.

Making a Samba box a BDC level server on a NetBIOS network is pretty well
documented.  What's a lot tougher is figuring out how to make a Samba box
participate as a normal, server-authenticated workstation in an MS net.  I
believe it's possible, all the parts are there like PAM-SMB, but I've never
quite achieved it.

I have my main Linux system set up to automount the shares from my NT
server, and that seems to work rather well.