your mail

Duane Attaway dattaway at attaway.net
Sun Nov 10 22:28:26 CST 2002

On Sun, 10 Nov 2002, Peter Amisano wrote:

> What options are there to protect, and scan, a linux server from
> viruses, worms, etc.?

1. Run applications under a user account, not root.
2. Don't run dozens of servers you aren't using.  Just what you need.
3. And if you do run servers, watch the logs for unusual activity, and
   keep them updated for bug releases.  Keep things simple and
   minimalistic.
4. Run programs only from places you can trust.
5. If you ever do see a linux virus, tell me.  I'd be interested seeing
   one that actually worked.

That's about it.