Food for Thought

Robert Kennedy erwin_k_r at yahoo.com
Wed Nov 6 00:07:49 CST 2002

--- Tony Hammitt <tony at speedscript.com> wrote:
> The censorship programs are all hype and no actual
> working content.  Any smart kid can just change the
> browser settings or disable the software in the
> system's registry.
>
> Censorware programs are just a cop-out to give lazy
> people a false sense of security.
>
> Actual parenting is a better solution.
>
> Regards,
>
> 	Tony

Amen, Tony!

If the subject wasn't so serious I could do ten to
fifteen minutes of Standup on the idiocies of
censorship and censors.

In 1979 I attended the Missouri state PTA convention
and found myself leading a ragtag group against the
well organized Bible Belters from down south on
several censorship issues. One of the proudest moments
of my life came as the convention ended. Thru a
closing elevator door one of the Zealots yelled at me,
"You ruined the whole convention for us!"

And I was @#$%**! glad of it!

Here are a couple of my favorite censorship tid-bits.

In the mid-1930's the New Jersey Bach Society tried to
get the FCC to pull the licenses of any radio station
with the nerve to play swing versions of classical
music.

After Regan took office Jerry Fallwell and other
peaceful American Talabans crawled out from under
their rocks thinking that they could do as they
pleased 'cause Ronny'd protect them. They took a run
at the libraries much like today.

One small town, in Ohio, I think, instituted the Moron
Majority backed library rating system. Imagine the
uproar when the movie like ratings required kids under
sixteen to bring a parental letter to check out, or
look at, The Holy Bible. (Too much sex & violence.)

Don't even get me started on the Comics Code
Authority...

Let me know if you want to hear my story about
blocking software, major university websites, and
Conan The Barbarian.
</rant>

Bob Kennedy