Mozilla help

Charles Steinkuehler charles at steinkuehler.net
Tue Nov 5 20:21:22 CST 2002

I have taken a big step in migrating away from my default windows
desktop and have started using Mozilla for email (I've been using it for
web browsing for a while).  I have made numerous tweaks to the
configuration, but I cannot seem to find a setting to control one
annoying feature.

When reading plain-text messages with "indented portions" or "quoted
text" (where the left column contains ">"), the > is changed to a
vertical bar.  I have found the controls to change the size and color of
the bar, but I have not yet found a way to prevent this mangling of the
display entirely...it's almost as bad as the replacement of "smilies"
with cute little icons :-)

So...can the e-mail client that lets me disable external image downloads
(a totally cool feature!) be configured to display plain ole' text
e-mails unmolested?!?

Oh...and any "favorite configuration tweaks" would be appreciated as
well, since I'm still coming up to speed.

One more question:  I'm really missing being able to go to the
top/bottom of a message using the PageUp & PageDown keys.  Typically,
when replying to a message, I'd get to the bottom of the text I wanted
to quote, hit <shift><PageDown> to select the rest of the e-mail, then
hit delete (or start typing) to "blow it away".  I can't do this in
Mozilla, because the Page[Up|Down] keys won't move the cursor all the
way to the beginning or end of an e-mail, so now I get to hit the
Down-Arrow key over & over & over...I know I'm probably missing
something really stupid, I just can't figure out what :-P

Thanks!

Charles Steinkuehler
charles at steinkuehler.net

BTW:  In case anyone cares, I was using Outlook Express.  While I was
always very careful, and never once got bit by a virus or worm, I
finally switched to Mozilla because of OE's tendency to crash.  The
funny thing is *HOW* it would crash...apparently, specific HTML
formatted emails (usually spam) would crash OE when *DOWNLOADING*
e-mail!  When this happened, I would have to ssh into my mail server,
manually edit the e-mail (changing text/html to text/plain), kill the
lingering pop server thread (or wait for the TCP connection to timeout),
and re-start OE.  I have no idea how folks without root access to their
mailserver would get around this problem...<sigh>