Food for Thought

zscoundrel zscoundrel at kc.rr.com
Tue Nov 5 18:24:57 CST 2002

Not really.  The STATED INTENT behind the law was good, who can argue
with protecting our children from pornography.

Unfortunately, the execution was poor, and the TRUE INTENT was criminal.
  The true intent of the law was to sell filtering software.  Do we
really need laws to make software makers rich?  The answer is a
resounding NO! Since the true intent of the law is bad, the law is bad.

Instead of making three quarters of the country buy filtering software
that has to be constantly maintained and updated, why not just require
all web sites with adult content to have ".adult" instead of ".com"?

It would be simple and easy to filter for this, and the losers that
insist on trying to sneak around the law by using .org or .com would be
in violation of the law just like the adult bookstores that sell to minors.

Everyone still has their freedom of speech, and the schools and
libraries have an easy way to filter to protect the kids.

Remember, the costs involved in all of this comes right out of OUR
POCKETS.  Bad laws and bad lawmakers cost all of us a lot of money,
because ultimately, in spite of all the accounting tricks, we (The
People) have to pick up the tab.