Food for Thought

Tony Hammitt tony at speedscript.com
Tue Nov 5 17:41:24 CST 2002

CIPA is based on a somewhat good idea, but the censorship programs don't work.  Often the programs
censor perfectly benign content (and frequently censor their competitors' websites) while letting
through any new pr0n site and probably half of the old ones.

The censorship programs are all hype and no actual working content.  Any smart kid can just change
the browser settings or disable the software in the system's registry.

I'm not saying that kids should look at pr0n, but just having the computer monitors facing the
librarian will prevent that.  Heck, having a login and letting the user know you're tracking where
they go will prevent most from going anywhere unseemly.

Censorware programs are just a cop-out to give lazy people a false sense of security.

Actual parenting is a better solution.

Regards,

	Tony