Two sound cards, and don't know what to do with them

Duane Attaway dattaway at attaway.net
Mon Nov 4 10:02:25 CST 2002

On Mon, 4 Nov 2002, Duane Attaway wrote:

> On Sun, 3 Nov 2002, Jim Herrmann wrote:
>
> > I have a Nvidia MB with sound on it, and a PCI Sound Blaster Live card.
> > They are both configured.  I can't figure out how to switch back and
> > forth between them.  How do I route sound to the sound module of my
> > choice?  Is this even possible?  It seems reasonable to do.  Any ideas?
>
> Do they both have different interrupts and I/O ports?  If so, they should
> have different entries in the /dev directory as /dev/dsp0, /dev/dsp1,
> /dev/mixer0, /dev/mixer1, etc., with symbolic links to the default
> /dev/dsp and such.  If you are using devfs and OSS, everything you have
> should be listed in the /dev/sound directory.

Darnit, I hit the send key before I had a chance to finish.

Every audio application you have should have the ability to switch between
audio devices.  mpg123 has the -d option.  xmms has it under Preferences
-> OSS Driver Configuration -> Alternate Device.

I also found this frightening long list of toys for the sound cards:

http://www.alsa-project.org/applications.php3

decisions, decisions...