AOL - High Speed Cable

chuckx chuckx at cold-sun.com
Tue May 21 13:27:31 CDT 2002

On Tue, May 21, 2002 at 12:07:01AM -0500, zscoundrel wrote:
> You will not see AOL high speed offered through TW cable access in a
> market until Road Runner - or whomever the default ISP partner was when
> TW started connecting broad band consumers - no longer holds a monopoly
> in that area.

AOL and Earthlink have been available as ISPs for TWCKC customers since
November.  TWCKC has been running advertisements for AOL cable service for
some time now.  Getting more ISPs (even local ones) available over the TWCKC
network is in the works.

> I believe the FCC required TW to open the ISP market to the competition
> as part of the agreement to let AOL and TW merger.  This is why our Road
> Runner accounts didn't automatically become AOL accounts the day after
> the merger!

For this I am thankful. :)

> If you happen to visit some place that has a modern cable
> system that is not TW - you may see AOL being offered as an ISP via
> cable modem.

Like I said before, TWC (in many of their divisions, including ours) _does_
offer AOL.

> I am still waiting for Everest to bring fiber to my back door.  One of
> the neighbors works for them and said (unofficially) that they should be
> in our area by the end of the year.  High Speed access, Voice, and
> Video.  Since it is buried, there should be no storm or drunk driver
> related outages to contend with.

Everest definitely does seem enticing.  Internt, TV and video all in one
package at a very competitive price.  Their tiered internet services even go
up to 3 megabits / second downstream.

However, their whole network is not buried.  On my way to work a week ago, I
saw an Everest employee running cable lines on poles right outside of
Raytown.  In Lenexa, it's kinda obvious when you see their lines on the
poles, just look for the shiny new cabling right next to TWC's cable lines.

--
- chuckx | Charles K. Lee II -
- chuckx at cold-sun.com -