im new

Jonathan Hutchins hutchins at opus1.com
Sat Mar 30 02:40:25 CST 2002

Welcome aboard!  I think you probably replied to me instead of the list or
something, but anyway:

Which Linux distribution to use is something for you to decide, they each
have their own merits.  RedHat 7.2 is a pretty good start, it's stable, well
known, and has a lot of documentation and available packages.

http://freshmeat.net is a good place to find applications.
http://www.linuxdoc.org has a lot of good documentation, as does
www.redhat.com (for RedHat).  There are lots of newsgroups, IRC rooms, and
other on-line sources, like KCLUG, that offer documentation of varying
quality.

As far as Office Suites go, nothing is quite as polished and feature bloated
as MS Office.  Again, there's a handful of offerings, and they each have
their flaws and their merits, it's up to you to decide what's most important
to you.

I just mentioned a product from CrossOver that allows you to install and run
MS Office on a Linux system.  It's commercial, about $55, but might be the
answer you're looking for.

As to my own specialty: How come the Linux box isn't on the net?  We can fix
that!