Postfix help

Chris Rickert CRickert at hntb.com
Fri Mar 29 20:13:46 CST 2002

I've got an issue with Sendmail/Postfix myself that should be pretty easy to
troubleshoot.  It's also a FQDN issue i think.

using mandrake 8.1 on a desktop at home.

i am about 3 months into my whole linux experience.

i've got an apache webserver running with a domain name i registered
through godaddy.com.  Using time warner kc roadrunner cable modem - DHCP, of
course.  websites work great with the dynamic dns service www.hn.org
<http://www.hn.org>  and virtual hosting in apache.  after getting mysql and
php working, i set up a few websites that are "suppose" to send confirmation
emails to those people who register login names.  At first i installed
Sendmail from the mandrake CD.  the problem is when the php script calls the
mail function, my sendmail would stall out.  maillogs of course said that
"jojo" which is my machine's name, was unqualified domain name.  Sendmail
must default to the machine name as the FQDN.  Of course i know this.  Now,
is where I am confused.  Since i am using roadrunner, my host name is given
to me via dhcp which is in the form: mkc-xx-xx-xx-xx.kc.rr.com.  know this
from an nslookup.  I guess i don't know how to configure my machine to
recognize the correct fully qualified domain name instead of 'jojo'(machine
name). After fiddling with Sendmail config on Webmin, i was unsuccessful in
getting it to work.  So i tried the postfix rpm.  Postfix will not start
without knowing a fully qualified domain name.  My needs are simple.  I
don't need a full fledged mail server.  I just need the system to
occasionally send an email out when a user register on a website or if they
forget a password.  Any ideas would be appreciated.  From reading the docs
online, most of postfix & sendmail documentation is geared toward a more
sophisticated setup than what i need.  It would be nice if i could get
postfix to work and just relay my email to Roadrunner's smtp's mail servers
that i normally use to send personal email on Kmail and Mozilla.

end

madjack

"I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work." - Thomas
Alva Edison (1847-1931)

This e-mail and any files transmitted with it are confidential and are intended solely for the use
of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed. If you are NOT the intended recipient or
the person responsible for delivering the e-mail to the intended recipient, be advised that you
have received this e-mail in error and that any use, dissemination, forwarding, printing, or
copying of this e-mail is strictly prohibited.