FrontPage Extension Install

Seth Dimbert s.dimbert at fhmr.com
Thu Mar 21 22:42:40 CST 2002

OK - I've managed to pooch httpd.

>:-(

Some history:
1 - I am not a very knowledgeable user.
2 - I got RedHat 7.0 from a book from the library and installed it.
3 - I did not, in any way, customize my installation. I simply took what it
gave me.
4 - I peeked into #/etc/httpd/conf/httpd.conf and found that httpd wanted me
to put webpages in #/var/www/html, so I did.
5 - That worked. When I pointed my web browser to the machines IP
(192.168.1.10), things worked fine (meaning that the pages loaded).
6 - I even figured out how to use Perl to run scripts in #/var/www/cgi-bin.
7 - I use FrontPage to build the site and wanted to use a mail-back form. I
could do that, if I installed FrontPage Server Extensions.
8 - I visited Microsoft's page, "How to install FrontPage Server Extensions
to an Apache Web Server
(http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q202198) and
followed the instructions there, installing two files into #/usr/local
(fp_install.sh and fp50.linux.tar.Z).
9 - Today, with help from all of you, I tried to follow those instructions.
At first the install script told me that it could not work because httpd was
busy. So, thanks to Jeremy's help, I killed the http daemon and tried the
install script again.
10 - This time it failed because it said there was already a root web...
somewhere. I was lost by the end.

I am sorry that I can't give you any more/better information, but that's all
I know. I am - in truth - in over my head here.

If you could help me, here's what I want. I want someone to tell me how to:
A - find the "right" version of Apache.
B - find the "right" version of the FrontPage Server Extensions
C - install them both, erasing what is there, if necessary.

What do you all say?

-SD