4,000 Question.

ibaxter ibaxter at kc.rr.com
Fri Mar 15 00:10:20 CST 2002

Hi all.

I need some good advice from you guys.  Not really a Linux question but a
computer industry question.  Hopefully someone in the business can give me an answer.
 I work in the construction industry.  I studied Civil Engineering at college
and took a few computer classes there - BASIC and fortran mostly.  I have taken a
few courses in recent years - C++ and TCP/IP.  I have also done some web work
and built quite a few computers on the side.  Probably  80% of my work is done on
computer and I administer our NT network also.

I am seriously thinking about changing careers to computers.  Does anybody have
any ideas how someone would best go about this?  I have thought about trying to
get certified to have something to put on my resume.  I know it is not a good
thing to mention on a Linux User Group, but it seems that MCSE (or MCSA)
certification seems fairly easy to get and appears to be accepted throughout the
industry.  I don't feel I know enough about Linux to become certified in it.  What
about CompTIA certs like network+?

Does anyone have any good pointers?  Am I missing something?  Should I just
stay where I am?  I could use some advice from inside the industry.

Thanks in advance.

Ian

--
Spruce: it does a body good