Speed and Compiling.

Duane Attaway dattaway at attaway.org
Sat Mar 2 01:47:35 CST 2002

Compiling is fun.  But you can still have a fast box without that
adventure.  Hacking runlevel configurations are easier and quicker;
however, you can almost get into trouble on par with DLL hell, but its
quicker to dig yourself out...

What I do is try the minimalistic approach.  Starting at runlevel 1, I
start services that I only really need.  Most distributions start
everything including the coffee maker and kitchen sink.  This fills up the
memory and makes for a busy system.  A quiet cpu is a happy cpu.

On my redhat 7.2 system, /etc/rc.d/rc5.d is a busy mess of services run by
default.  All those files starting with an "S" are started by default in
numerical order.  Since I don't need all that on a daily basis, I renamed
the S(start) files into K(kill) files.  With X running, only 64MB of 256MB
is being used!  This makes my system very fast.

The only services I run are network, syslog, httpd, nscd, pcmcia, random,
apmd, sendmail, sshd, ntpd, junkbuster, xfs, and local.  Sometimes I will
start a service, say if I want to use the printer.

Keeping X minimalistic is another adventure.  I like things simple.  A car
without the fancy stuff, just the motor and wheels is a high performance
car.  Same with X.  I threw out all the gnome initialization stuff and
started only Enlightenment.  E without the gnome has enough do-dads for me
and still lightweight enough to move windows around.  It works for me.
So, in my ~/.Xclients file is:

exec /usr/bin/enlightenment

While it only loads enlightenment when my 'pooter starts, gnome apps can
still run because I haven't removed those libraries or anything.  I'm just
running the basic window manager.  And its quick as the day Rasterman
unleashed the first versions many moons ago.

Window managers often do consume resources.  Depending on the window
manager and how it was started, you can kill it and start another.
Watching the borders disappear and return to the pure glory of X is a
remarkable sight.

ooops... it appears enlightenment does not like to be killed when run
under xdm. A person can spend many years perfecting configurations.