DVD / CD-RWs

Lucas Peet lpeet at eccod.com
Fri Mar 1 07:22:07 CST 2002

Here's a good one for this list...

I have an LG DVD/CD-RW drive.  Works great - using scsi-ide module I can
burn CD's beautifully.  Thing is, I have a huge stack of DVD's I'd like
to watch as well.

I've installed Xine, and the d5d plugin, and my DVD's load & play.
 Performance is the issue here.  Everywhere I've seen, they say that you
should enable DMA access to the drive for peak performance, and playback
that's not choppy (which it is now).

X11:
XFree86 Version 4.1.0 (Red Hat Linux release: 4.1.0-3) / X Window System
Using latest NVidia drivers for TNT2

Any help by suggesting how I might be able to pull off DMA access &
scsi-ide for CD-RW would be super-helpful...(maybe pull the scsi-ide
module unless I'm burning CD's?  Would that work?)

-Lucas