sendmail mystery

dattaway at attaway.net dattaway at attaway.net
Sun Jun 30 11:55:00 CDT 2002

On Sat, 29 Jun 2002, Jonathan Hutchins wrote:

> I still need to study whatever is setting up ipchains and what the rule
> is, then decide whether to remove all ipchains stuff since the machine
> is already behind a firewall, or just tune the firewall.  For now,
> though, it's working.

Redhat ships with an ipchains start/stop script at
/etc/rc.d/init.d/ipchains.  To keep this default Redhat script from
running, do the following as root:

chkconfig --level 0123456 ipchains off

It would be nice if Redhat could draw a map of all these security features
so a poor person like me can find his way through the maze of firewalls
they install.  Quite a change since just a few years ago, *every* service
was turned on by default: gopher, archie, finger, talk, ftp, samba, ...

Why drive a car when you can ride a bike?
http://attaway.net                 http://counter.li.org   user #142150