apmd question

Becker, Rob Becker at celeritas.com
Fri Jun 28 16:35:43 CDT 2002

I would like to have a laptop shut itself down 10 minutes after it switches from ac power to
battery.  I have RH 7.3 on the laptop and apmd is installed and running.  I can query apmd to get
the amount of time left on the battery and it will warn me and put the laptop into standby when the
battery gets down to a few minutes left.  I also want it to shut itself off when the battery gets
too low instead of going into standby.  This is a laptop that I am using to play ogg vorbis files
in my car.  I've read the man pages on apm and apmd as well as poked around the config files in
etc/sysconfig/apm (that's an approximation of the directory as I'm not near the machine now to
verify it exactly) and haven't found what I need to make this work.  I'm thinking of having the apm
daemon just call shutdown with a 10 minute timeline when it notices that it's on battery.  Has
anyone done something like this before?  Any tips, warnings, etc?  All ideas appreciated.
Thanks.
Rob