disk imaging for linux

Jonathan Hutchins hutchins at opus1.com
Fri Jun 28 15:17:48 CDT 2002

----- Original Message -----
From: "Becker, Rob" <Becker at celeritas.com>

> On a related note, how would I set up a linux install and then create an
emergency boot cd similar to what was proposed earlier for windows?  I know
dd can copy a drive pretty much bit for bit, but is there a utility similar
to ghost for creating a clean image that can be dumped to a cd or somesuch?

RedHat's kickstart program might be useful here - I don't know how far into
the system it goes, how much configuration it stores, but it at least would
install the right set of packages.  I think it does some basic network
configuration, but it would be possible to checksum all files and save any
config file that had changed.  (Other distros offer similar stuff...)

You can, by the way, use Norton Ghost or Power Quest to image a Linux drive.