ghosting and licensing and disk imaging for linux

Becker, Rob Becker at celeritas.com
Thu Jun 27 22:05:46 CDT 2002

An interesting licensing note on ghosting...
I learned at an MS licensing seminar that OEM licenses of MS operating systems do not grant you the
right to use drive imaging software for anything.  In order to have that right you must have an
open license or greater for that OS.  How ridiculous is that...
One of these days I need to read that Ghost EULA to see how they get themselves around being liable
for us breaking rules with their software.  I'm sure its in there.
On a related note, how would I set up a linux install and then create an emergency boot cd similar
to what was proposed earlier for windows?  I know dd can copy a drive pretty much bit for bit, but
is there a utility similar to ghost for creating a clean image that can be dumped to a cd or
somesuch?  I have a littl brother headed to college but I may not send him away with Windows, I'd
rather he use Linux (so I don't have to walk him through fixing it over the phone every few months)
 Any ideas?
Thanks.
Rob