export X display to a web browser?

dattaway at attaway.net dattaway at attaway.net
Thu Jun 27 17:12:00 CDT 2002

On Thu, 27 Jun 2002 mgoins at kcp.com wrote:

> I thought I remember hearing or reading or being told you could export
> an X display to a web browser. I can't seem to find out how to do this.

I found something, but this is dated in 1996!  Interestingly, I could find
nothing to date about this.  This would be very usefull.

From: Brian Lemire (lemire at syndesis.com)
Subject: Re: serve X window application over the web
Newsgroups: comp.windows.x, comp.windows.x.apps

James McIninch wrote:
> However, as I said, there is one company that makes a plug-in for
> Netscape that will invoke and host an exported X-display within the
> context of the WWW browser. If I remember the name, I'll post it.

The X consortium is developing an X-server-in-a-browser plug-in, which was
supposed to be released this fall. My company is interested in using this
plug-in but I've been having a hell of a time getting release/performance
information on it. If some other company has already developed this
capability, I would be grateful to know.

BTW, the name of the X consortium product is Broadway.

--
Why drive a car when you can ride a bike?
http://attaway.net                 http://counter.li.org   user #142150