hypothetical scenario question

dattaway at attaway.net dattaway at attaway.net
Wed Jun 26 20:42:34 CDT 2002

On Wed, 26 Jun 2002, Marvin GodfatherofSoul Bellamy wrote:

> I'm just thinking back to my days as a high school computer lab admin.
>  My biggest problem was preventing the kids from screwing up the desktop
> environment.  I know it made me look like a grump complaining about new
> backgrounds, but it made it much easier to tell at a glance when a
> machine had been altered if all the desktops shared the same setups.  Is
> there any way block user modifications to the desktop with KDE?  I've
> never used GNOME.

Your magic bullet is

chattr +i

strategically placed in selected configuration directories and or
individual files, this one bit will prevent any change from occuring.

Except if that person happens to be root.  Here is what the immutable bit
does from chattr's man page:

       A  file with the `i' attribute cannot be modified: it can-
       not be deleted or renamed, no link can be created to  this
       file  and  no  data  can  be written to the file. Only the
       superuser can set or clear this attribute.

Why drive a car when you can ride a bike?
http://attaway.net                 http://counter.li.org   user #142150