DRAT . . . Learning curve just got ugly

Bradley Miller bradmiller at dslonramp.com
Mon Jun 24 03:07:59 CDT 2002

Ok, so I'm playing with Mandrake 8.2 and loving it.  I decide to explore
a bit more and I see this DrakSync.  It sounded cool -- sync up files
between web site and PC or laptop.  I thought I'd take a chance and see
how it work.  I decide to do this on a LARGE account that I have . . .
they upload files all the time to the site so I only have program files
locally, images are on the server.  I do the setup Wizard and make a
directory to back the info up on.  I'm doing other stuff and I'm noting
that the directory is not filling up at all.  It looks like things are
hung up but I still something going on.  Finally I see a prompt saying
something about an error, but at this point I realize that its still not
putting files onto my harddrive.  It turns out that DrakSync is making
my WEBSITE folder EMPTY!!!!   CRAP.

In a nutshell, I caught it before it was MAJOR damage, but enough had
been done.  I restored my web ads directory and a magazine directory,
but I'll have to reload the ads for magazine area.  Ugh.

This is one of those things where someone needs to do a usability study
on Linux programs.  Who would have intelligently thought that I would
want to EMPTY the file folder on my web server?  The wizard never asked
which way I wanted to go.  Had I not used the wizard I would have
realized that's what it would do . . .

-- Bradley Miller