You want hardware, I've got hardware Re: What local computer shop do you

Michael mogmios at mlug.missouri.edu
Sat Jun 22 03:00:08 CDT 2002

> This is sick.  It seems like yesterday I spent $49.95 for 16KB of memory,
> which was two circuit boards packed with 2K chips, and I was lucky enough
> to have only one bit error.  I could only dream to have a machine with an
> amazing 512KB for memory and here we have 512MB for pocket change.  4MHz
> on a CISC Z80 was fast and I would have laughed at anything tht could be
> done over 50MHz.  Gigahertz?  Whoa, slow down!  Where will we be in
> another 15 years from now?

Do you actually feel the difference when using your computer? To some
degree I guess you do as the screen is prettier but try doing something
like word processing and compare how fast the program runs compared to a
word processor on a 20 year old Apple or PC. The fact that we experience
laggy, crashy apps with this much power is just disappointing. ;)

> Not long ago, every memory cell was considered valuable real estate.  We
> stored important information, known as flags, in a single bit.  Now, its
> just an empty sea of bits.

Exactly the problem. Programmers are lazy now. Myself included. I hate
when I have to code something in C/C++ or assembler. I do almost
everything in Python, PHP, SQL, and shell scripts these days.

> Why drive a car when you can ride a bike?

I plan on fixing my bike come payday.. because my vehicle is in the shop
and the mechanic is at a loss as to what is wrong. To bad I live 20 miles
from the nearest town of decent size. :(