Dual boot manager??

Monty J. Harder lists at kc.rr.com
Sat Jun 22 02:28:41 CDT 2002

On Friday 21 June 2002 03:25 pm, Bradley Miller wrote:

> How would I do a dual boot from an existing harddrive?  Is it possible?

  Sure.  But you might need to repartition it.  I recommend you config lilo
to install in the boot sector of a Linux partition, because if^H^Hwhen you
have to reinstall Windows, it will rewrite the MBR without asking permission
first.  Then you just go into fdisk (either the Windows version or boot Linux
from floppy and use the one there) and set the Linux partition back to Active.

  It is the teeniest bit slower than having lilo take up residence in the
MBR, because the MBR will have to load first, and then load the boot sector,
which would then bring the rest of lilo into memory.  Just one more disk read
is all.  If the partition you choose is the one with the kernel in it, the
read/write head has to go over there anyway....