Made the plunge . . . lots of issues though.

Brian Densmore DensmoreB at ctbsonline.com
Fri Jun 21 14:35:28 CDT 2002

what kind of sound card?

> have something
> amiss there.  The other glaring thing was it only showed my
> /home directory
> at 30 gig.  Where's the rest?
Well where are you seeing /home only from. Many Linux file managers will
drop you into your home directory by default. I you open up a console
and still
can't get to / then there is a problem. Konqueror has an up arrow for
navigation.
Clicking on that should eventually get you to the root directory.

> Oh, and another small thing . . . HOW DO YOU FREAKIN' COPY TEXT???  I
> pulled my hair out wanting to do simple copy/paste operations
> between a few
> programs that I was playing with.  I wanted to copy text from
> KDE-Mail and
> insert it into KDE Office and the best I could do was copy
> the address??
Easy select the text you want to copy. Go to application you want to
copy to.
Right click to paste the text. Caveat: Netscape doesn't place nice with
other applications (sigh).

> I also tried to install VMWare 3.1 on a trial serial number.
> It installed
> just fine but then I couldn't get the CD to unmount so I
> could stick in my
> Win NT CD.  I even tried to unmount from shell and it would
> just give me a
> device busy message.   Ugh.
You can't unmount a file system if you are still using it. This means
you cannot have an application (like konqueror) in a directory of that
filesystem. You also cannot unmount it if an application has a file open

on that filesystem.

I think Mandrake has a Linux intro. You might want to read it. It will
be
very helpful in reducing your stress factor. ;')

HTH,
Brian