grub configuration tool

Charles Steinkuehler charles at steinkuehler.net
Thu Jun 20 14:55:07 CDT 2002

> I just installed RedHat 7.3 with GRUB as my boot loader.  Problem is I
> didn't know how to configure GRUB, so I just replaced it with LILO.

Um...why didn't you just choose LILO as the boot-loader in the first
place?  This was still an option on the 7.2 install, is 7.3 different?

>  Does anyone know of a GRUB configuration GUI tool?  Is there any
> significant differences between the two?  This is just a test box, so
> "working" is my only requirement, but it'd be good to know for future
> reference.

The grub configuration file is pretty easy to understand...all the core
components (kernel & ramdisk image to boot, and any kernel parameters)
will be the same between lilo and grub, the only difference is the
config file syntax to specify them.  The biggest difference between the
two (from my perspective) is grub knows how to read the filesystem on
the HDD (so you change the config files and it just works), while lilo
needs to store references to the file's absolute sectors, so you have to
"re-run" lilo after making any change.

Charles Steinkuehler
charles at steinkuehler.net