Apache confusion

Brian Densmore DensmoreB at ctbsonline.com
Thu Jun 20 13:45:23 CDT 2002

This is correct. Permissions on a higher (ie /home) level directory do
not necessarily allow access to a lower level directory (ie /home/user).
I may have my syntax The owner
and group rights determine who can read any given directory. By
default a user's directory is readable only by the user. If modify
this permissions to allow any one in the group to read that directory
then any user in the group can read that directory. Some distros create
unique groups for each user. /home should be world readable on any
webserver, but not /home/user.