Dual boot

J. Eric Gilliland patzeric at yahoo.com
Tue Jun 18 22:08:44 CDT 2002

Ian,

This can be done, I am currently dual booting Win XP and
Mandrake Linux 8.1.  You will have to repartition the hard
drive, however, and the built in Mandrake repartitioner can
not repartition NTFS drives (which is what XP uses if it is
installed from the get go (i.e. not an upgrade from ME or
something).  You will need a copy of Partition Magic to do
this.  After that it is not that big of a deal.  I am also
a linux newbie but was able to get it up and running, with
help from the generous people on this list and also
Mandrake Expert.  I advise you to purchase a boxed
distribution to get this support; it is worth the money.

Look around on the internet and you will find plenty of
info on dual booting.  I have to go now,  but I can send
you some more info on it later.

Do you know which distribution you wnat to use?  You
mention mandrake, which is what I use.
--- Ian <icollins at iland.net> wrote:
> I am new to Linux, pretty much starting to get into it. I
> am now running windows xp. I would like to know how I
> could run both operating systems on my xp machine. I have
> a Pentium 4 at 1.7 ghz, 512 ram, and an 80 gig hard
> drive. I am sure that I have ample space.
> I know that mandrake had software for millennium and
> below called Linux for windows so that a person could
> learn Linux without having to partition the disk. I have
> to keep win xp because my wife uses it,  but I don't want
> to have to get another computer until I am comfortable
> with Linux.
> Please give me any suggestions on what to do.
>
> IJ COLLINS

=====
J. Eric Gilliland
patzeric at yahoo.com
And gentlemen in England now a-bed
Shall think themselves accursed they were not here,
And hold their manhoods cheap whiles any speaks
That fought with us upon Saint Crispin's day.
                                  Henry V Act 4 Scene 3