Password Generator

Michael mogmios at mlug.missouri.edu
Tue Jun 18 15:03:54 CDT 2002

A small shell script would probably work. I like to let the user enter
random text which is combined with random numbers and finally turned into
something useful by running the resulting data through an md5() function.
Then chop off the md5 to a length your happy with.. possibly mix in vowels
if you want it pronouncable.. and you have a bad ass password that'd be
hard to crack.

If you have fairly intelligent users you could also use my personal system
where as each user devises a simple formula they can do in their head but
tells nobody else and then picks a normal dictionary word they can
remember and runs that formular over the dictionary word mentally to
create a challenging password. A random example would be a formula where
every other letter was changed into it's numeric value (A = 1, B = 2, etc)
and the letters between those numbers alternate between caps and uncaps.
For somebody like me that sometimes deals with 50-100 different machines
each with their own password it is a great help to be able to reconstruct
mymy real password from something easy to remember and the passwords are
still difficult enough that it'd take a really gifted hacker/program to
crack them. My actual formula for ciphering my pwds is quite a bit more
complex then that one.. but that one would be fine for a user..

The girl who stoops to conquer usually wears a low-cut dress.

Michael McGlothlin <mogmios at mlug.missouri.edu>
http://mlug.missouri.edu/~mogmios/projects/