Wal-Mart shipping PCs with Lindows preinstalled

Brian Densmore DensmoreB at ctbsonline.com
Mon Jun 17 16:03:07 CDT 2002

Again, I disagree. There are Linux games out there. Besides once you get
a mass market for Linux, guess what? Companies will start supporting
Linux. And guess what happens next? Linux needs a critical mass to get
companies off their a**. Linux is just fine for a desktop system. I even
have a typing tutor on my Linux box, never used it, it's just part of
KDE3. Linux is ready for any use anywhere. I don't buy all that
negativity bs about Linux isn't rock solid enough yet.
Linux is as stable as you want to make it. Certainly not every distro is
appropriate very every use, but there are lots of distros and it is not
very hard to build your own Linux system custom designed for your needs.
Including critical 24/7 real time systems. Come on people, show me
another system that runs on as many different kinds of hardware Linux
does, performs all the different uses that Linux does. Sure There are
more stable and more secure OSes, but not for the price of a Linux. Not
everyone needs an OS390 or Sun OS.

> Yes.  What's going to happen when the first person calls tech
> support to ask
> why their kid's game doesn't run?  Look, I love Linux as much
> as the next
> guy but I'm one of those few that believe it needs to stay in
> the server
> market for another few years.
>
> You want a good, consumer grade Unix operating system?  Max
> OS X is great.
> A retarded monkey can use it yet it still has the Unix
> features we all love.
>
> I just think that the Walmart PC's will end up ticking off
> the consumer and
> giving Lindows a bad rap before it really has a chance to mature.

Don't write an obituary just yet. ;')