Camera

Duane Attaway dattaway at attaway.net
Tue Jun 11 21:27:18 CDT 2002

On Tue, 11 Jun 2002, Jonathan Hutchins wrote:

> Any suggestions for an _inexpensive_ camera to run as a web cam?

USB, PCI, parallel port?  I have both the $25 USB IBM (Xirlink) "C-it"
cam, and a $100 "win-tv" Hauppauge bt848 PCI card with the
camera/microphone.  Both are directly supported in the kernel and work
great.  I just plug either of them in and they are instantly recognized by
any device needing video.

The PCI cards seem to have the best resolution and can really deliver the
bandwidth.  A full sized raw video feed from a PCI webcam can run up the
hard drive real estate quickly.  The installation of a card also allows
video in from a VCR or any other camera laying around.  Infrared cameras
are cheap these days and might be fun to play with...

The USB camera is very nice with just one wire to mess with.  No
installation necessary, just plug it in.  I believe most distributions
these days do not require any setup.  It just works.

I haven't run into a card that has not been supported yet, but I'm sure
they are out there.  A quick search on google's newsfroups will reveal any
fustrations with particular models.

--
http://attaway.net