More fuel on overseas jobs fire . .

DCT Jared Smith jared at dctkc.com
Fri Jun 7 14:20:05 CDT 2002

> http://www.eweek.com/article/0,3658,s=25210&a=27696,00.asp

It's not a popular view, but it's heartfelt, and comes
by hard experience, so here it is:

Exporting my job overseas can either be seen as a threat
or an opportunity for me to do something else equally
interesting. I choose the latter not in weakness but out
of compassion for the fellers "out there" who need work
just as much as I, yet don't live in the bountiful land
of America, where all is _still_ possible.

We Americans invented the Internet. Now let others play
in it! Let's go invent something else, by George.

While I love programming, if the job is simply not
available, I'm perfectly content working in a gas station
at (comparatively) miserable wages. And I've done so, though
I will say it hurt the first time; now the pride is less
as I realize I enjoyed that job immensely.

My job is not my life.

Nor is the present blessing of wealth which this job gives
me. If it goes away, I will be able to do so many things
I canNOT do right now, like spending more time in the
libraries reading books, spending more time with my
children, and so forth. Life goes on; the urge to keep
it the way it is, is an urge which will always end in
failure eventually.

Rather, capitalize on the constant of change with an
attitude of continually seeking upward.

Being dependent upon the state of the national economy
for my emotional and physical welfare is something I
earnestly avoid.

The state of the union does have an effect on me, no doubt
about that, but is it the dominant effect? No. After a
careful and painful restructuring of my priorities away
from those _common_ in America toward those which are robustly
framed in the U.S. Constitution (and other noble docs), I
find I am increasingly able to withstand variations in the
economy--by no effort less than the grace of our Creator,
mentioned by name therein. Aye, my truer joys come from reading
the U.S. Constitution, wherein I find that I, little ol
me, has the authority and power to restructure things
if I don't like them. Know it is a private reading, because
no classroom in America currently teaches the true power
buried in the nuances of our Constitution.

Anyone who complains about the way things are (or are
about to be), I recommend to study the Constitution.

-Jared