What's wrong with the market?

JD Runyan Jason.Runyan at nitckc.usda.gov
Thu Jun 6 18:17:19 CDT 2002

--
Jason D. Runyan
Mid-Range Systems Administrator
USDA NITC Kansas City

On Jun 06 12:14, Jonathan Hutchins wrote:
> Try $35k for a sysadmin.

35K, you must be joking.  You can make that digging ditches, where the largest
benefit is you get a sun tan.  Maybe for a Junior/Trainee.  I haven't had a
salary that low since before I graduated from college.  Keep your standards
high, but realistic. Know what your skills are, and what makes you unique.
Target your resume, and cover letter to the advertisement.  It takes time, but
I have rarely not got an interview, and have greater than a 30% offer range.  I
ask companies when I interview before we get started what they expect to pay.
Most don't want to pay enough, and I won't go any farther.  Once they have
hired somebody in the lower pay scale, and he gets overwhelemed, they will
learn the value of a good admin.  To accept the pay that is too low is only to
perpetuate the problem.  For 35K you can go manage a retail store, or do some
other less stressful job than than IT.